When last we visited the oMIDItone project, the plan was to turn the test code into a class, and add more heads to allow for a wider range of pitches to be played at once. Sounds simple enough, but it took a lot longer than I ever thought it would, with many complications and lessons along the way. I'll go over everything in roughly the order it happened in, starting with code challenges, then moving on to hardware challenges, and finally the (more or less) working prototype. Hold on to your hats, as this post is almost as long as it took me to build the damn thing.
I recently received an Otamatone as a gift. I quickly found out I lack the training to accurately hit notes by ear. As a solution to my lack of skill, I decided to modify my Otamatone into a MIDI-controlled instrument. This is the story of my first attempt at doing so.
This part will cover the actual physical build of the deck, mostly the woodworking stuff.
This covers the initial design and failed attempts way back in 2010, and eventually starting over in 2015.
Back in 2013 I made a small guitar for playing Phase Shift by cannibalizing a Wii Guitar Hero controller. It runs on an Atmega 32u4 and is housed in laser cut plywood and acrylic, and contains some (poorly utilized) Addressable LEDs.
This was a simple arcade controller I made with the laser cutter, an Atmega 32u4 board, and some arcade buttons. Another simple project. It worked pretty well for quite some time, but I just plugged it into my Windows 10 computer and I got a lovely BSOD, so I might want to revisit this one in the near future. Maybe give it the IIDX treatment.